Monday, June 2, 2014

Eleanor Roosevelt Comes For a Visit

Last week we had a lone visitor in our back yard. This pretty flower popped up and after a bit of research I discovered this is the Eleanor Roosevelt Iris.


I checked on it every day and finally it began to open.


Just look at the gorgeous color!


With the sun shining on the petals these macro's look more chartreuse than purple but oh my it still a beautiful flower, and the detail in it's beard just fantastic.


Unfortunately the end of the week got busy and I didn't get a chance to take more pictures until today. I headed out figuring that I would get some great shots as surely the second bud must be open by now. Much to my sorrow this is what it looked like when I went out to photograph it this morning.


Not sure if I waiting too long or if maybe the sever thunderstorms we had the last two days just ruined this beautiful flower. Oh well, next time I will pay closer attention.

7 comments:

Taken For Granted said...

Stunning flower. Too bad it didn't last longer, but that's how Iris are, beautiful, but not long lived.

carol l mckenna said...

Wow! ~ What a gorgeous flower and very creative photography for OWT ~ xoxo

artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

William Kendall said...

It is breathtaking, if fleeting.

TexWisGirl said...

it sure was lovely from start to finish. i like how almost-black it looks as a bud!

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh she was so beautiful while she was here. Hug B

Unknown said...

Thank you everyone.

EG CameraGirl said...

Love the progression from bud to bloom to spent blossom.