Monday, August 11, 2014

Walking with the shadows

Shadow Shot Sunday 2

Walking with the shadows, both physically and metaphysically.

While in Sturgis, South Dakota for this, I was drawn to this engraved pathway. At first I thought it was some type of memorial then I realized some of the blocks held the names of businesses and not individuals. I did not find any information on Sturgis' city website so I am only assuming that this pathway was created as a way to raise funds for the revitalization of the main street by offering blocks for sale. Personally I think it is a really great idea. I don't much care for the advertising blocks but really found the memorial blocks to be touching and historically interesting. 
What do you think about this method of funding?

3 comments:

William Kendall said...

It's a mixed feeling for me- as long as the corporate branding, so to speak, doesn't become the overwhelming presence, that's one thing.

Gemma Wiseman said...

I agree totally with the last comment. Maybe the businesses have sponsored the blocks in some way.

Anita Davis said...

Thank you both for visiting and sharing your view on the subject. I am glad to say that it appeared the majority of the sponsors were individuals and the business blocks that I saw were in good taste.