Monday, May 14, 2012

Macro Monday: Mistletoe or Holly?

As much as I love nature, plants and trees I am really not very knowledgeable when it comes to plants and trees. So you can imagine my delight when I came across this tree while on my walk the other day. 

I actually took a double take, because the leaves growing on the trunk of this tree just didn't seem to be the same as the ones on the trees branches.

Going in closer I realized I have found a growth of what appears to be mistletoe. So after a bit of research to learn more about mistletoe, I discovered some very interesting facts. Like that it is a parasite that can kill the host tree. But it can also be good for the environment. How very odd. 

Linking up with Lisa's Chaos for Macro Monday.
Have a wonderful week everyone!

Update: Pat brought to my attention that this looks more like Holly. See how much I know about plants. If someone with tree know how could clear this up for me I would be very appreciative. 

7 comments:

Carletta said...

At Christmas time when I was growing up my Dad used to go out in the woods and look for mistletoe. He would shoot it out of the tops of the tree. :)
Nice macro!

carol l mckenna said...

What a magical find ~ Great macro shot! ~ thanks, namaste, ^_^

Cathy H. said...

This is a great find! The mistletoe here is in the very tops of the trees!! Beautiful macro!

Laura said...

very interesting indeed...lovely photos.

Pat said...

I've never seen mistletoe growing, but that looks like holly. Interesting.

Unknown said...

Pat, now that you mention it, I am even more confused. It does look like Holly! But the leaves at the top of the tree don't. So I am at a loss. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

toby said...

That is interesting, whatever it turns out to be :)