Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Nature

This week I did something that I have never done before. I entered a photo contest. I figured oh why not, it might be fun. The contest name is "It's Amazing Out There" and is held by the Weather Channel. The contest is open to both professional and amateur photographers, with pretty good payouts for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. There was no limit to the number of photos one entered so I picked a number of my favorites and decided to go for it. I figure it is kind of like playing the lottery, if you don't play there is definitely no chance you will win. At least by entering I have a chance, even if it is an extremely slim one. LOL

In addition to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place they also have an honorable mention called "peoples choice" which is determined by the number of votes the photo receives during the voting period. Now that I may have a better chance at. So here are the photos I entered. Just click on the title if you want to boost my ego and cast a vote. ;) 
Voting runs until 11:59am eastern time August 26th. Oh and by the way everyone can cast one vote a day.

Some of these may look familiar as I know I have shared a few here and on my other blog. Just click on the image for a larger view.

Title: Peek-a-Boo
A young mule buck sits quietly in a ravine just off a hiking trail in Rapid City, SD.

Title: Trail Hog
This was taken on one of the many hiking trials in the Hanson-Larsen Memorial park. Trial rules forbid going off the path which isn't bad as the paths are fairly wide. Yet, this biker nearly ran me over even though I was standing on the very edge of the trail.

Title: Late Winter Run  A runner taking advantage in a mild winter day added a nice burst of color.
Title: Winter's Lace
The delicate icy snowflakes on this twig reminded me of lace.
Title: Ocean View
Ocean View Beach, Norfolk, VA

Title: Oh Barnacles!
Barnacles become beached after attaching to a piece of driftwood.
Title: Historic Landing
A sea gull lands on what was probably once part of the historic Ocean View Amusement Park. For more about the amusement park check out this post.

Title: Golden Sea
The shells, sand and rocks give the crystal clear wave a golden appearance.
 Title: Cotton Candy Clouds
What can I say? I just love a spring sunset.
 Title: Angry Clouds
Dark clouds mix turbulently with lighter grey and white clouds in the midst of an incoming storm.






Title: Storms Eye
Shortly before a storm as two large cloud formations joined at sunset this eye shaped clearing could be seen.
Title: Vibrant Summer
The rich shades of greens and blues provide a striking background for these vibrant red orange Lilly's.

Title: Digging Out
Twenty four hours after being hit by the blizzard of 2013 my son-in-law sets to the task of digging us out.
Title: Lone Locust
While stopped at a rest stop amid a swarm of locust I noticed this one locust all by itself half way up the wall of the building.
Title: Sunrise Adventure
A single motorcyclist rides into the sunrise.

Title: Solitude
A young girl sits in solitude before the rushing falls.










That wraps up my entries. 

Have you ever entered a photo contest?
Drop me a line in the comment section, I would love to hear all about it.

2 comments:

Taken For Granted said...

You have quite an impressive collection of photos, and choosing one is difficult. So, I have picked my two favorites. The old pier with the seagull at the end, and the lone locust are high on my list.

William Kendall said...

I've never done this. Hard to pick a choice among these, but I went with Peek A Boo, and have voted.