Thursday, August 25, 2016

The Challenge: Self Portrait

1st challenge: Self Portraiture

Instead of doing one challenge a day, I have decided to just focus on each challenge as time permits.
 
I combined my first attempt at this challenge with taking portraits of one of my granddaughters. I am much happier with her portraits which I will share later. 
This is a shot from that first attempt. I shared a better shot Here. I definitely chose the wrong time of day and the wrong location. In addition my attempt to get the focus set properly wasn't very successful. Not to be beaten by a challenge I had to give it a few more tries.

On my second attempt, I headed out with two of my grandchildren. Once again, I captured some good portraits of the kids. As for the self portraits, they were better than my first attempts. However, I was still not satisfied.

Although it was about the same time of day as in the first attempts, this time I chose a location that had more trees to diffuse the harsh light. Thanks to the children, who agreed to sit where I planned on sitting, I was able to set the focus better this time. Although still not satisfied, I am happier with this than with my first attempts. Maybe if I had posed differently I might like it. But the way I am sitting almost makes me look pregnant! Thank God that isn't possible. LOL
For my final attempt I decided to go for a completely different type of self portrait. I did a series of shots that will be used for a project I am doing about living with Narcolepsy. I am very satisfied with the results. 



This challenge definitely took me out of my comfort zone (behind the lens). It also gave me a chance to work on conceptualizing the portrait instead of relying solely on what I see through the view finder to compose the portrait.  

At first I thought this took me out of my comfort zone because I am getting older and like mirrors I can't hide that from a photo. Then I realized that isn't it, because I have never liked having my photo taken. It seems to me many photographers feel the same way. So I ask, why is it photographers are more comfortable taking photos of other people than they are of themselves? 

1 comment:

William Kendall said...

The last one's my favourite. I don't like taking photos of myself, and never have, actually.